Pages

4.26.2012

More thrift

A while ago we all drove up to Saskatoon to enjoy some family time with Marc's family...and pick up a couple of end tables I saw on Kijiji.

The first end table was a reproduction campaign furniture piece, I was really excited because campaign furniture was all about storage so the top should have been able to lift up to revel an interior compartment, like this campaign table.   So to say I was a bit choked when I found out mine didn't, would be a bit of an understatement.

But, there is a silver lining to this cloud, thanks to the way the end table I bought was constructed, it will be super easy to create a lift up top!  DIY number one for this piece.  The table wasn't in great condition either, the stain is super beat up and it looks like someone took a saw to the bottom of the legs, so its going to take a bit of work to get it looking nice.  I think this will go in the front foyer, though it was a bit wider than I had anticipated, so it may not work.


I'm thinking a deep grey stain, and I'm going to get some brass caps for the legs this weekend from Lee Valley to finish it all off.

The second thrift of the weekend was a phenomenal, and really heavy, modern end table for our master bedroom.


What you can't tell from the picture is how beat up the top veneer is.  I think even with a good sanding it won't be salvageable, so I think I'm going to paint the top and side white, but leave the drawer and shelves stained wood.  

I also can't decide if I love the drawer pull, or hate it.  What do you think?  Should I leave it, paint it or replace it?

that veneer is hurting.

There are actually a couple of other pieces, but they kind of deserve their own post for a number of reasons, so stay tuned!


1 comment: